Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Dad, My Friend, My Hero!


As I sit and think about my life and the loss of my Dad I can honestly say that you couldn't find a better Dad. I can only hope that I can be half the man he was. Memories keep flooding in of all that great times that we had and one time really stands out.

We were living in Clinton, Ill. at the time and I was a freshman in high school. The school was going to send students over to Europe for the summer, but parents had to pay! I was really excited and wanted the opportunity to go over seas. We went to the meeting at the school and found out that it was going to cost $1600.00 and all I could think about was touring Europe with my friends. After the meeting we went home and SantaBob sat down with me and said that I could go or he and I could take the trip he was planning for us. I was like "what trip??" I had no idea that he was thinking of taking a vacation with just me. As we talked he said that he wanted to go camping in the backwaters of Minnesota for 10 days. It would include hiking, canoeing swimming, fishing, and sleeping in some of the most beautiful forests around. I didn't even hesitate I chose to go camping. I have never regretted that choice, I had the best summer I have ever had. My Dad loved the outdoors, he loved going places, he had an incredible zest for life. I Thank him for instilling some of those loves and zest in me.

When Dad moved to SC we didn't get to see each other, though we talked on the phone a lot. I went on to start my own family, I got married to my awesome wife Lisa, we had some kids(7) and life went on. Then two years ago a job opportunity came up for me to come to SC to work and after some convincing I talked Lisa in to letting me come here and then having my family come when I found a place to stay. This is another decision that I will never regret. Up until that time Dad had never met my wife or kids, that was about to change! We came here and the kids took to Grandpa Bob like glue and Lisa took to him as well. I can say with out any doubt that SantaBob took to them as well. I'm so thankful that I was given this opportunity for my kids to see what a great man my Dad was. They all loved going to Vivian and his house to go to the beach or just have lunch or dinner. Though the boys really loved the clamming trips.

There is now a large hole in our lives, but I know that with Christ all things are possible. Jesus helped us with the lose of My Mom, Grandma Ginnie(as the kids called her) and I know we walks with us now in the passing of a great man, My Dad, My Friend, My Hero SantaBob!

You will be missed Dad,
Love Tom